I recently repaired 3 Schatz cuckoo clocks, and have photos of another I repaired several years ago. These examples show 4 case styles: maple leaf, hunting, oak leaf and multi-color. An earlier post shows the movement and gears of the Schatz hunting model cuckoo clock.
Schatz introduced their cuckoo clock movement in 1950, and probably made cuckoo clocks up until the late 1950s or early 1960s.
The movements are the same design, but I noticed some variations:
- There are 2 different logo circles on the back plate. The earlier ones say: “Jahresuhrenfabrik Germany” around the circle and “50” in the center. The later ones say: “Aug. Schatz & Sohne Germany” around the circle, and “KU 50” in the center.
- One of the “50” movements has a brass lever to open and close the cuckoo door, the others have a blued steel lever.
- The clocks with “50” movements had lighter weights that clocks with the “KU 50” movement. See bottom of article for a list of weights.
See a Schatz sales brochure that shows 2 models of cuckoo clock.
See more photos of the maple leaf cuckoo clock (has a “50” movement).
See more photos of the hunting cuckoo clock ((has a “50” movement).
See more photos of the oak leaf cuckoo clock (has a “KU 50” movement).
See more photos of the multi-color cuckoo clock (has a “KU 50” movement).
(Three of them don’t have their top piece in the pictures.)
I measured the chains on the multi-color clock: 42 links per foot, 1.2 mm wire diameter.
- Maple leaf cuckoo clock: about 2 pounds 12 ounces each.
- Hunting model cuckoo clock: 2 pounds 12 ounces and 2 pounds 14 ounces.
- Oak leaf cuckoo clock: 3 pounds 5 ounces and 3 pounds 6 ounces.
- Multi-color cuckoo clock: 3 pounds 4 ounces and 3 pounds 5 ounces.
I believe the above list is in chronological order, it seems that Schatz used heavier weights for later clocks.
The Schatz is different from most cuckoos in that there are separate controls for door and bird – bird goes in and out with each cuckoo while the door stays open. Here is a video showing this:
Repair jobs 4492, 5325, 5537 and 5351
Share this post:
Sites That Link to this Post
- Schatz Bird & Leaf Cuckoo Clock – Light Color Shaded Finish | September 30, 2011