Here is a Jahresuhrenfabrik (JUF for short) 400 day clock made around 1902. It has a disc pendulum, small dial, and delicate spade hands. It has beautifully turned finials above the dial.
I repaired this clock, and fixed some problems caused by previous repair work.
The picture below shows the mainspring after removal from the clock. Note that it is cone shaped. It should be flat.
Here is the new mainspring that I installed:
The “arch” of the clock (the decorative part with the finials above the dial) was fastened to the clock with GLUE, as one screw hole didn’t have a shoulder for the screw to bear on. I inserted a bushing in that hole to repair it.
This clock has an unusual anchor (the part that goes back and forth as the clock ticks). Most JUF clocks have a solid-body anchor, but this one has adjustable pallets like most other makers use. Here is a photo:
Repair job 6585. I polished five pivots. The 0.004 inch thick suspension spring was good, and I adjusted it to hang straight in the upper block and adjusted the height of the fork. The hand set tension washer had a hole that was too big, causing it to bear on the front plate, causing friction that would stop the clock. I installed a new tension spring. I installed a Horolovar 19 x 36 mainspring.
Share this post: